Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Chapter 5&6- You're Already Amazing Book Talk

I am loving this book and praying that everyone reading this blog can get their hands on it. This is a message EVERY woman needs to hear. The book just keeps getting better and better for me.

Chapter 5- Where Am I Going?

This chapter talks about our journey. Holly writes, "God has a journey for your life. It looks different than anyone else's. The road he's carved out for you is yours alone. It's always the road less traveled because you're the only one who is ever going to walk it."

This chapters talks about the feeling of being " In Egypt", where we feel that we are in a period of waiting. She describes three reasons why this may be occuring: we're weary, we're being prepared, or it's just not time yet.

She also talks in this chapter about being in "The Promised Land". She describes the Promised Land as this: " a desire of your heart that God guides you into through an intimate journey with him." This is when we see His blessings in our lives. It may be a new home, a baby who have prayed for, a new relationship, a new job. All of our "promised lands" look different. God says when we are in the Promised Land, we should possess it, defend it, and enjoy it.

For me, this chapter was eye opening in many ways. I don't particularly think I feel just one of these all the time. They change for me. This is probably due to the fact that I am a "heart" person and not much of a "head" person. My feelings seem to lead me in my life, although, I am learning that this isn't necessarily good all the time. For instance, right now, I feel encamped. I want to do BIG things for God but yet, I really just don't know what that is yet. I know that my job now is to be a mother and wife to my husband and the best teacher I can be to my students. I believe that I may be just in a season of growth with Him. I know that He has a lot to teach me, so I think He is just calling me to be still. I also feel like I am in the Promise Land at my many times. What I have learned about myself is this, I don't defend it. My prayer is that He will help me to possess, defend and enjoy it.

Chapter 6- Who's With Me

This chapter is all about connection. God is all about relationships. It is who He is. I love her quote on page 101, " The kingdom we serve in is one of love, relationships, and intmiacy. We're not made for each other, but we're certainly made to share life with eachother."

She talks about our fears, why we hold back, the safety we feel when we hide, our desire to be perfect, our fear of getting hurt. I shed a few tears in this chapter. Fear has been a driving force for the majority of my life, but I am determined to break free from this. The control part of this chapter was very powerful to me. I love her quote by CS Lewis on page 111. " To love at all is to be vulnerable. Loveanything, and your heart will certainly be wrung and possibly broken. If you want to make sure of keeping it intact, you must give your heart to no one. "

Holly goes on to write, " Control keeps us alone. God invites us instead to love. We're to give him the reins of our hearts, and then he loves others through us."

I have a strong desire to be a reflection of Christ's love and know that when I am free of fear and allow Him to love others through me, I am in His perfect will.

Below are a few things that will enrich your reading of this book.
1. The video for Chapters 5 and 6 from incourage.me

http://www.incourage.me/2012/04/youre-already-amazing-chapters-5-6.html
2. A freebie printable for you from: http://deepsouthsweets.blogspot.com


 
3. A song by Cold Play called "Fix You"
 
4. Questions for discussions. I would love those of you that are going through the book to comment.
 
Where are you currently with God? Are you feeling that you are in Egypt or the Promised Land and why?
In the description of internal and external cotnrol ( chapter 6), which one could you most relate to? What helps yuou let go of control and trust God?
 
Join us Friday for Chapter 7 

1 comment:

  1. I tried to comment on this twice last night, and my iPad was not cooperating, so instead of trying again, I'm just going to share a beautiful song that reminds me of this section, particularly chapter 5 and journeying with God.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjRh-tDaUwQ

    ReplyDelete