Monday, November 7, 2011

Generosity

Our church is currently doing a series, "Practicing Extravagant Generosity". I have really enjoyed it. Pastor Mike talked about a scripture from Matthew that I want to put on my mirror to read first thing in the morning as a reminder of why I am really here.
" Make your light shine, so that others will see the good that you do and praise your Father in heaven."
Matthew 5:16


The more I thought about that verse, the more I thought about my children. I don't want Ava and Sawyer to grow up thinking that they live in a "me" world. I want them to grow up knowing that God has called them to help others. God uses us to meet the needs of His people. What a responsibility but also what an honor!!! Over the weekend, my beautiful friend Nikki led our children in an awesome project. She bought all of this food and created a mock grocery store in her living room. The kids had a grocery list and went around shopping for our items. They put these items in a box that would be taken to a mission for families that need it. It was beautiful to watch. Nikki, thank you for creating a fire within me and reminding me that my children need to show generousity, and their mother does as well. We can be generous with our time, with our finances, with our forgiveness, with our compassion and with our love. Below I have included a few ideas to do with our kids over the season... I found these ideas on http://www.blissfullydomestic.com/

  1. Prepare and deliver a meal to someone in need. Your local church could help identify a recipient if you don’t know someone already.
  2. Prepare a care package for an overseas soldier. These men and women are often especially homesick during the holiday season. A care package is a sweet pick-me-up for them.
  3. Gather some of your old books that are in great condition and deliver them to a local children’s hospital.
  4. Sort through old toys for items that can be taken to Goodwill or Salvation Army.
  5. Make some Thanksgiving crafts to deliver to a senior center or veteran’s home.

No comments:

Post a Comment